Monday, June 30, 2014

What's the Big Deal about Spoons?

A very popular illustration of what it's like to live with a chronic illness is called "The Spoon Theory", written by Christine Miserandino who is battling lupus.  If you know someone with a chronic illness (or have one yourself) and have not read this story before, it's worth a few minutes of your time.  The basic explanation is that someone who has a chronic illness begins every morning with a finite amount of spoons, meant to represent the energy they have to get through each day.  Every small task done throughout the day uses up a spoon until the person runs out.  There is no borrowing from the next day or saving spoons from the day before; once you're out, that's it.  This often forces a chronically ill person to make choices between things they have to do and things they want to do as a matter of self-preservation.

Those fighting a chronic illness are called "spoonies", and in my experience, these are some of the strongest and most amazing people I've ever met.  My name is Kim, and this blog is meant to help spread awareness for chronic illnesses and what it's like to date a man with a chronic illness.  Specifically, my boyfriend Nick is fighting severe fibromyalgia and moderate chronic fatigue syndrome.

So what is fibromyalgia?  Well, the medical dictionary definition of fibromyalgia is "a chronic disorder characterized by widespread pain, tenderness, and stiffness of muscles and associated connective tissue structures that is typically accompanied by fatigue, headache, and sleep disturbances".  If you or a loved one are fighting fibromyalgia, then you know that it is so much more than this brief description, and it has certainly had a profound effect on your life and those around you.  If your loved one has fibro, then it may be difficult for you to understand what they are going through.  In reality, it is one of the most misunderstood and underrepresented chronic illnesses that I have come across. 

I am not a martyr, nor do I think I know it all.  Just as every chronic illness experience is different, so is my life with Nick.  I realize that many have it much more difficult than us; I would just like to give you some perspective on what we're doing to try to make it work and maybe help you gain you some insight into your spoonie (or your caregiver).  I hope you will come back to read about ways to support your spoonie and tips for coping with life as a caregiver.

Peace and Love,
Kim


2 comments:

  1. I like your blog, Kim and what you say rings true to me, a CFS suffered. And yes, I have very few of those spoons.

    BTW, I'm the guy you were talking to on Twitter today. (Trace Absence) My name is Andy. I live in Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andy! Nice to meet you. What I'm really hoping to do is to show that there are supportive and caring people out there who can see beyond the illness to the amazing person underneath.

      Delete